Thursday, September 25, 2008

I'm going to be published!


So I got some awesome news yesterday! I had gotten an email a few days ago from the editor of The Cornerstone, which is the Liberal Arts student online magazine at A&M. Anyway, they were looking for writing submissions for the magazine, and so I sent in my poem Helpless. I heard back from her yesterday, and she said that she loved my piece and that she was going to hold onto it for publication!!! I am so excited! Maybe this could be the start of a writing career! I think I sent the poem out to everyone, but just to be sure, here it is: (Oh, and by the way...if you can't tell, the poem is about a Nazi concentration camp.)


Helpless



Sometimes I have dreams...
disturbing, disheartening dreams.
These dreams are a product-
a product of my history and my experiences.
These dreams are me.

I am standing in a field far away,
surrounded by wooden horse barns.
This field is divided by a train track
with thousands of people on each side.

I hear cries of despair
as families are torn apart.
"Vati! Geh nicht!"
Families' last moments
ripped to shreds by the harsh words,
"Herren zu links! Frauen und Kinder,
Rechts!"

Amid the chaos, I cry out to them,
"Come with me! I can get you out!
Come with me away from this hell!"

I cry out to them, I appeal to their despair-
my pleas fall on deaf ears.

Maybe they just can't hear me
above the noise.

Late that night...
many have already been sent to the gas.
But I do not give in.
I have to help the rest!

I go to them in their wooden beds.
I shake them to waken,
and nothing happens.
I try again...nothing.
I yell at them, "Save yourself!
Wake up!"

And nothing happens.

I am no help to them.
I do not exist.

They say hindsight is 20/20,
that with it, everyone knows the answers.
But sometimes...
not knowing is less painful.

1 comment:

aggieineurope said...

Oh, and the picture is of the barbed wire fence enclosing Auschwitz. I took it.