Monday, September 15, 2008

Changes


I have noticed some things I have done recently that lead me to the conclusion that I am not the person that I was even a year ago. I used to be the girl that refused to ever stay at home and not work. I hated cleaning. I hated cooking. And I wasn't about to let anybody else tell me what to do. But lately, I've really enjoyed my time off from work and being able to keep our house clean and be able to cook real meals. I've found myself wanting to dust and do laundry, which is so unlike who I used to be. I've also noticed that I am a much nicer person now without the stress of work and rude customers. I'm much more willing to do what Ryan wants to do when we're together because I've had time to do things for me while he is at work, and I really enjoy making him happy and being able to do things that make it easier for him to relax after a long day. I praise God that He gave me the opportunity and the means to take this semester off from work. After struggling so much last year, I don't know if I would be able to graduate without this break. I was so tired, stressed, and depressed that all my body wanted to do was sleep and I couldn't concentrate or focus on anything. This has definitely been a blessing, and I know that God will continue to provide for all of our needs. He knows I truly needed this break, and I am most thankful for it.
Moving on...fortunately we didn't get hit by Hurricane Ike here in College Station. It traveled to the east of us, leaving us on the clean side. We only got about 2 inches of rain and the wind blew about 30 mph. Others around us were not as fortunate, and many are without power for approximately 2 weeks. Our prayers go out to all of them and their families. We hope everyone will stay safe.
Tonight, I made an awesome dinner in our Crock Pot! (Thanks Alan & Kathy!) I found an interesting recipe called Dublin Coddle on www.thenest.com and thought it sounded pretty good, so I decided to try it. Well, it turned out excellent and I highly recommend it. Here is the recipe:

Dublin Coddle




Ingredients:
4 slices bacon
1 1/2 pounds pork sausages (6-8 sausages)
2 yellow onions, sliced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 large potatoes, peeled and sliced
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 cup water, hard cider, chicken stock, or beer
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, for garnish

Directions:
Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and fry for 7 minutes, or until crisp. Using tongs, transfer to paper towels to drain. Add the sausages to the pan and cook, turning frequently, for 10 minutes, or until browned. Using tongs, transfer to a plate. Drain any excess fat from the pan.

Add the onions to the pan and saute, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Spread half of the onions in a layer in the bottom of the slow cooker. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Lay the strips of bacon over the potatoes. Lay the sausages over the bacon. Spread the carrots over the sausages and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with the remaining potatoes and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add the water. Cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours, until the vegetables are very tender. Transfer to a warmed serving dish and sprinkle with the parsley. Serve immediately.

No comments: